World Down Syndrome Day

Tomorrow is World Down Syndrome Day. Its the day we celebrate those who have an extra chromosome, hence, 3/21. In October, a friend of mine started posting a fact a day about Down syndrome for Down syndrome awareness month. I remember the first year just in awe of the education I was receiving. As years passed, I was able to join her and add personal facts about Ada to each post. And, that's where I find myself today. There are definitely traits that span across the board for those we have met and love with Down syndrome but just like anyone else they are all so very different. I went into learning about Down syndrome with a preconceived idea whereas Ada's sisters have less ideas of what they believe Down syndrome to be. Here is what they have to say when I asked them what Down syndrome means.


Catina and Ada at Disney Resort Pool
Catina , age 10, says:

"Down syndrome means learning slower. People with Down syndrome may take longer to learn how to walk or talk. My sister has learned faster for learning her letters and numbers. She has even started to spell words before I did. Sometimes its frustrating when I don't understand what she is saying. She gets frustrated too. I think Ada is so cute and adorable. She loves to hug me. When Ada does something new I get super excited."


June and Ada being silly.
June, age 7, says:

"Down syndrome means you may have a straight line on your hand. It takes them longer to learn things like walking and talking. Ada loves to play with me. We play doctor, mermaids, restaurant and dress up. I don't like when Ada is sick because I have no one to play with."

Its interesting to hear both my girls say that it takes Ada longer to learn to walk and talk. It did and does take her longer but I know this is not true for everyone. When the girls first heard us start talking about Down syndrome our response was that it may take Ada longer to learn things but she would eventually get there. I had and still have ideas of what I believe Down syndrome to be but at the same time its such a confusing thing to explain. Although, Down syndrome can take on many characteristics every person is different. 


Ada waiting for her Physical Rehab doctor
I've shared before about a time when a therapist told me that Ada wasn't grasping "higher ways of thinking." It hit me hard and I couldn't figure out why I was so upset. I mean, besides the fact someone just told me my kid just doesn't get it. I realized later that day that Ada grasps the highest way of thinking and that is love. Ada knows love and Ada knows joy and she's not afraid to share it. Please join me today in celebrating Ada and others who can show us higher ways of thinking.


________________

I've had the privilege or reading a book called The Lucky Few before the general public. I left a review on GoodReads that says this, "This book was so honest. Even in the raw moments grace was shown. Heather didn't share just the good stuff. Some of it felt terrifying yet it wasn't attractive like some who watch a traffic accident. It was attractive because honest emotions were shared. It seemed there was no hiding. I've struggled with infertility and have a child with Down syndrome. This is a book I could highlight and share and say 'This is what it felt like.'"

This book is on sale March 21st so be sure to check it out!






Comments

Popular Posts