When Good Things Need To Be Removed

Last summer a very large tree from our neighbors’ yard fell onto our fence and swing set. It knocked our power out for a few days and the mess left behind in our yard took us days to clean up. We have a similar tree in our own front yard. The diameter is almost as tall as me. We really LOVE that tree. The shade it provides and the home to the wildlife make us want to keep it forever. This past spring through a series of discussions about the life of trees Greg and I felt it was time for it to come down.




The morning it was to come down our June went outside to talk with the tree, to hug and to mourn it. She cried so hard that the school called to ask if something bad had happened at home. While crying I told them about the tree! It can still bring tears to my eyes to think about how hard June mourned it.



The tree came down and we kept the bottom stump to create a memorial for all that the tree gave us. Turns out the tree was completely hollow! We scattered parts of its limbs as stumps around our yard for places to sit and grew flowers in the middle of the tree’s base and placed a fun fairy garden for us and people passing by to enjoy.

Weeks went by and many have stopped to tell us how beautiful our house is. They aren’t always sure what is different but we have come to know is that the removing the tree revealed all the hard work Greg has done to create our landscape.





The day after school got out for the summer I deleted Facebook off my phone and decided I wouldn’t look it other than to communicate for my job or the group I maintain for meet ups. I missed it at first and maybe grieved a bit too because I knew I would not be able to keep up with all the people I could before. This week I realized how much the tree and Facebook have been alike for me. I loved both and both served good purposes in my life in a season when they were healthy but after removing the app I have found how hollow it had become for me. Making the hard decision to remove something good opened up something more beautiful. We were able to enjoy our yard and I was able to be more present for my family in the summer season.



I hope my words are encouraging to you. I never want to come across like I am in the know. I'm excited about a few things I plan to share with you soon but for now...May God show you the good things in your life and may He reveal that which needs to be removed so you can see more of the beautiful.

Comments

Popular Posts