A Winner!

Catina will turn 11 soon and its been so amazing to see how she's learning to love others. Catina and I don't always think the same ways. She's more logical and literal and I am more figurative and visionary. A couple of years ago she really wanted to set up a booth at our local Farmer's Market. She wanted to sell baked goods and I know in her mind she thought she would make some good money. She has an amazing entrepreneurial spirit.

Photo by Blue Shutter Studios

We talked as a family almost every night about how can we love God and love other people. Its our purpose and this idea of selling baked goods was amazing one but a little too much work for Mommy or Daddy to help make it happen. Instead we tried to think about what organization did we love that we could walk along side to help make money for them and we remembered a local non-profit that built vegetable garden beds all around our city. The vegetables were sold at our local farmers market and supplied our local food pantry. All proceeds went back into creating more gardens to feed families.

At my older children's elementary school there is a service club for fourth and fifth graders. This club serves their school by cleaning up the playground and assisting teachers during the kid's recess time. They also collect shoes, canned goods and sing at the local "retirement" home. This club is perfect for my oldest, Catina. This past week she ran for secretary of that organization and in her speech she had some fabulous ideas but she didn't win. 

As a mom I didn't want to make a big deal about it but I wanted to be available for whatever deal she would make of it. I met her and June walking home that day and by the way she was walking I could tell that she probably knew the results and didn't get it. So, I asked her.

She told me with a touch of sadness in her voice that she didn't win. We talked about how it was disappointing. We talked about how even in its disappointment we could see the upside in that there are so many things to do with our time. We discussed how it sounds like there's something else out there that would be a better fit. I'm grateful she let me walk with her in this time and grateful for her where with all to acknowledge that it as sad but not getting the position as not a failure.



That night she attended the Daddy Daughter Dance with her Dad and her sister. There was a photo booth and she grabbed her friends and they caught this photo. My heart swelled when she brought it home. Catina isn't going to be secretary of her service club but she is going to be a good friend who has good friends. In my heart I knew she was the winner!

(With Catina's permission I am posting this story)

Comments

  1. I love this and couldn't agree more. What a blessing for these loving girls to have found one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and sweet girl you have!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts